Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Charleston South Carolina
It all happens so fast. You enjoy your motorcycle ride when suddenly you find yourself laid out on the road or in a hospital bed. A driver wasn’t paying attention and hit you. Now you’re faced with pain and disability, huge medical bills, lost wages, and other life-changing damages.
Like most motorcycle accident victims, you probably have some questions:
- How do I get compensation for my damages?
- How do I hold the other party liable?
- How much will it cost to get professional legal help?
At The Green Law Firm in Charleston, we have recovered millions of dollars for our clients. Our attorneys are experienced negotiators in motorcycle accident cases, and aggressive trial lawyers who do not settle for less. To get clients maximum recovery, we explore every option and explore every battle. Additionally, our firm operates on a contingency fee basis, meaning you don’t pay us when we sign you as a client, but when we recover money on your behalf. In other words, we charge no upfront fees.
In 2012, motorcyclists accounted for 15 percent of all traffic fatalities, 18 percent of all occupant (driver and passenger) fatalities, and 4 percent of all occupants injured. Of the 4,957 motorcyclists killed in traffic crashes, 93 percent (4,625) were riders and 7 percent (332) were passengers.
Motorcycles made up 3 percent of all registered vehicles in the United States in 2012 and accounted for only 0.7 percent of all vehicle miles traveled. Per vehicle mile traveled in 2012, motorcyclists were more than 26 times likely than passenger car occupants to die in motor vehicle traffic crashes and 5 times more likely to be injured.
Per registered vehicle, the fatality rate for motorcyclists in 2012 was 6 times the fatality rate for passenger car occupants. The injury rate for motorcyclists was about the same as the injury rate for passenger car occupants. – National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
There is literally zero risk to consulting with us, so why delay? Call us today at 843.747.2455 to receive a FREE consultation.
What Are the Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents?
Motorcyclists are many times thought of as reckless riders, but this could not be further from the truth. It’s actually the drivers of passenger vehicles who cause the majority of car-motorcycle collisions, not motorcyclists. The common acts of negligence which contribute to motorcycle accidents in Charleston include the following:
- Failing to come to a full stop before turning right on a red light
- Running a red light or stop sign without seeing the approaching motorcycle
- Driving while distracted, perhaps by passengers or mobile phone use / texting
- Failing to yield right-of-way to the motorcycle
- Exceeding the legal speed limit on the street
- Failing to check blind spots for motorcyclists before changing lanes
A Charleston Motorcycle Accident attorney can help determine cause as well as liability by conducting an investigation of the accident site. We can work with accident reconstruction specialists, medical experts, and other relevant professionals to piece together exactly how the incident went down.
Take Immediate Action
In South Carolina, cases arising from a motorcycle accident, and most other accident cases, must be filed within a certain amount of time after the date of the accident. If you fail to meet the deadline for your claim, you may be barred from pursuing compensation completely. Don’t risk losing out on your rightful recovery – contact our Charleston motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible.
Safety Tips for Motorcyclists
Because motorcycles are smaller than other vehicles, they are harder to see, especially at night and in bad weather conditions. We recommend that motorcyclists follow these safety tips to stay safe on the road:
- Do your best to be visible to other drivers on the road. Most motorcycle accidents are connected to poor motorcycle visibility. By keeping your headlights on even during the day, wearing reflective gear, and equipping your bike with a proper windshield, you will have a much better chance that other drivers will see you.
- Get adequate training. Motorcyclists have proper training, and care for their bikes are less likely to be involved in a motorcycle accident. Training and experience may help you respond to a dangerous situation in time to avoid a collision.
- Wear the right riding gear. Your best protection against a serious injury in a motorcycle accident will be your helmet. Wearing a helmet is a simple way to reduce the chance that an accident will be fatal. Proper eye protection is also important. Wind and glare can reduce your ability to see and respond to objects in your path.
Though many motorcyclists are careful when riding, accidents sometimes still occur. When that happens, you should take measures to ensure your legal rights are protected by contacting a motorcycle accident lawyer from the Green Law Firm in Charleston.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Crash
Despite preventative actions taken by motorcyclists, accidents still happen, and the cost can be significant. The financial burden incurred through motorcycle accidents can stack up due to lost wages and expensive medical bills.
South Carolina motorcycle accident lawyer Bill Green will fight for you and represent you for injuries that include, but are not limited to:
- Injuries requiring surgery, sutures, staples;
- Traumatic Brain Injury, including those caused by oxygen deprivation;
- Severe burns resulting in significant and permanent scarring;
- Mental anguish and emotional distress, death;
- Those injuries caused by a collision with a driver that is drunk, impaired or otherwise under the influence of narcotics or drugs.
After a motorcycle crash, it’s important to take the following steps:
- Call the police.
- Get the contact and insurance information from the other driver.
- Take pictures of any damage and injuries.
- Seek medical treatment where appropriate.
- Seek legal action.
Keep copies of all the police and medical documents describing the accident and your injuries. These will help your case if you choose to pursue legal action. If you do wish to file a claim, contact the motorcycle accident lawyers at The Green Law Firm. We are here to protect our clients’ rights and to help them get the compensation they deserve.
Start Your Motorcycle Accident Claim Today
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle crash, contact The Green Law Firm today for a FREE case evaluation. We handle most cases on a contingency basis, meaning we only get paid if you do. Most lawsuits have a limited time frame in which you can file before you waive your rights to seek possible compensation, so act quickly.
Get more safety tips at http://www.nhtsa.gov/Safety/Motorcycles